Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Moby Shinobi series by Luke Flowers

The Moby Shinobi series by Luke Flowers is designed for early readers, with rhyming text: "Hi-ya! Hello! Come watch me train! I love to use my ninja brain."

Who wouldn't want to be ninja quick, with super kicks, and ninja speed to help people in need?

Much like in the Picture Book Ducks to the Rescue and other such tales, Moby's help isn't always helpful.

In Ninja on the Farm, when he swoops into the coop to gather eggs, he ends up waking all the chickens, the eggs are cracked, and it's a mess. When he spins around trying to gather hay, he does it so fast that the sheep end up sneezing. Likewise, his ninja jumps when trying to feed slop to the pigs don't turn out well.

But, ya gotta love a ninja with heart. Can he persevere and figure out a ninja job that's just right for him?

A similar scenario takes place in Ninja in the Kitchen, another book in this series, when Moby discovers that a "TWIST! TOSS! SPLAT! SQUISH!" approach to cooking might be a little over the top.

Once again, the story culminates in Moby saying, "I did my ninja best you see. I wish there was a job for me" and finding a viable means to help.

Because sooner or later, a ninja is bound to get it right.

No comments: